NHA Parent-Teacher Conferences
For our New Horizons Academy (NHA) parents, parent-teacher conferences are just around the corner on November 1-2. If you haven’t already scheduled one with your child’s teacher, please do so today.
Parent-teacher conferences are a great way to develop or deepen the partnership between parents and teachers. You both want your child to learn, grow, and become as independent as he or she possibly can. Use this opportunity to find out how your child is doing in school and what you can do to help.
Before the conference:
- If you haven’t already, schedule a time to meet. Please send back your parent-teacher conference sign-up form with any requests to meet with specific teachers, staff, or specialists.
- Review your child’s progress reports and grade card.
- Talk with your child and other family members about how they think the school year is going and what your child’s strengths and needs are.
- Make a list of questions to ask during the conference.
During the conference:
- Remember that it is a two-way conversation and that it works best when both teachers and parents talk and listen.
- Share your questions and concerns with the teacher.
- Celebrate your child’s accomplishments, and work with the teacher on ways to help your child grow and improve.
- Ask what you can do at home to help your child learn and grow.
While talking with the teacher, please keep these basic principles in mind:
Best intentions assumed
Emphasis on learning
Examples and evidence
Respect for all
Dedication to follow-up
For more information on how to make the most of your parent-teacher conference and how to strengthen the relationship with your child’s teacher, log onto the Global Family Research Project at globalfrp.org.